Monday, December 14, 2009

Thanks :)


“Through literacy you can begin to see the universe. Through music you can reach anybody. Between the two there is you, unstoppable.”
- Grace Slick

Thanks, mum n dad, and above all God, for having given me this gift of literacy.. Of being able to read, for one, coz without this wonderful ability to read, I would not have been able to peek into the lives and works of people I can look upto – reading makes me feel connected, to the world around me, to people of the present as well as the past.. It opens so many new horizons, and gives me, in a way, so many different “worlds” at my disposal. And unlike movies, books do not complete the picture; it is left to me and my imagination to fill out the people and the scenes, so I can make everyone look exactly as I want them to. As for writing, apart from using it as an excellent means to vent out any joy/anger/frustration within me, it gives me immense self-satisfaction. Being able to pen down what I think, so that I myself, if not other, can read it anytime I like, is believe me, an exhilarating feeling.
And this encompasses the way literacy is instrumental in the acquisition of knowledge, and in widening our mental horizons, to enable us to think, reason out logically and “discover”. Yes, as people round the world today expand their knowledge in every sphere possible, I am lucky enough and proud enough to realize that I am among the “more equal” people, who have the ability to follow what goes on in the world..!

4 comments:

abhishek surana said...

i cn very much relate to what u said...writing dat someone else cud read some other day is truly exhilarating..plus u r nt judged ven u write sumthin..u r ur own critique...nd it gives u a chance to think abt many things which odrwise u wnt even give a thought to..

PS-2 post in 2 days..ahemm...:)

dk said...

nyc point!..the one on gettin inspired to think about so many things :)

abhishek surana said...

d point abt literacy set me thinkin abt the way ppl r said to be literate when they have some particular qualification..i agree dat we cud follow wats gng arnd ven we have some basic knowledge but..d way its been done dese days is frustating...ppl become more aware of things arnd dem nd less abt themselves..

dk said...

rite..well i believe literacy should aim to bring about an overall awareness..